VIM in Belize No Longer

Monday, March 15, 2010

A Marvellous Monday In Florida


Another beautiful day as you can see from the photos, though a little cooler and windier than yesterday. Wherever you go in Florida there are gems to be discovered. The other day I read that Florida Southern College in Lakeland has the largest complex of Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings anywhere. So today I dropped in for a visit at the FSU campus.


Even to my unsophisticated eye the Annie Pfeiffer Chapel is a marvellous piece of work, quite startling on the outside and wonderfully light on the inside. The brochure says that "the Chapel is considered to be a true specimen of Wright's work, with all the basic elements of his architecture integrated within."

Aside from the airiness of the interior I think that what impressed me most is the wonderful network of angles. I always loved mathematics with its symmetry and somehow for me this is math come alive.

I'm not sure how it is for worship. I might be spending too much time marvelling at this place of worship and it's creator rather than the Creator!

The building is starkly unadorned, and needs no adornment.




Small pieces of coloured glass set in the concrete wall are Wright's only nod to adornment here. And yet in the tiny Danforth Chapel which is just steps away, stained glass is front and centre.



I didn't really get to look at any more of the Wright complex, but this was enough.
Then it was off to the Joker Marchant Stadium, Spring Training home of the Detroit Tigers.





This is a pretty good picture of Travis Snider considering where I took it from. (Click to enlarge)
I had decided to arrive early to assure getting a really good seat but when I did get there it was almost already a sell-out as far as seats were concerned so I ended up on the left field slope. Here I am, not very pleased with the score going into the top of the ninth.


P.S. The Jays did not score again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home