VIM in Belize No Longer

Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Sunny Sunday In Florida

I arrived a little late at Kissimmee's St. John's Episcopal Church. I've attended there before with positive recollections. prayers were underway at 10:38 so latecomers had to wait to be let in! The congregation appears to be about 80% black and there is a steel drum orchestra, the music is lively, the entire service is on overhead, the "Peace" takes about 10 minutes and the whole thing lasted two hours, which was fine. The sermon was rather long but we probably didn't get all 25 pages he said he had written!

They were quite welcoming but didn't really involve me in conversation at the coffee hour. I left my contact information in the guest book and will see if anything happens. I wonder whether they might be interested in supporting the Belize Diocesan Youth Band or even St. Joseph's?

In the afternoon I took the one-hour drive to Lake Wales for a return visit to the Polk Tower Gardens. Jane and I were there some ten years ago and it was worth the return visit even though the carillon was through for the day. I stayed about 1 1/2 hours and took quite a few pictures.

The long entrance way is lined with seemingly endless orange groves, each tree heavily laden with an amazing crop looking more than ready to be harvested.

There are not many formal gardens....



....but all sorts of room to wander under wonderful old trees....

....and, of course, the carillon tower just to admire.



Tomorrow I should be heading that way again, this time for the ballgame in Lakeland, Jays vs. Detroit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home