VIM in Belize No Longer

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A W Wednesday In Florida


Well, it wasn't wet today after all, nor was it windy, so this has to be a "wonderful Wednesday"! But it was mostly overcast and cool so a good day to be indoors, like at museums. Having been heading south-west for the last few days, today was a north-east day as I visited the lovely Orlando suburb of Winter Park. They are gearing up for this weekend's annual "Sidewalk Art Festival" which rivals Cobourg's Waterfront Festival, except that they don't have a beach.


I made three stops in Winter Park, the first at the very small Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens which celebrates the work of Albin Polasek, a Czech-American sculptor who died in 1965. My favourite piece is this one. The harp strings are falling water.



And here's one other, just for equality's sake.


Inside the museum was a fascinating display of original science fiction magazine and book cover illustrations from the mid-20th century together, in many cases, with copies of the books themselves. No photographs were allowed so no pictures of the pictures. Thought I might see something by Geof Isherwood, but he wasn't born until 1960.

Next it was off to the Cornell Fine Arts Museum of Rollins College. It boasts an interesting mix of items and doesn't appear to specialize at all. Here are two fine bronzes from their sculpture hall. (Remember to click the pictures to enlarge.)




One of the current shows is a collection of American (US) and Russian home "propaganda" posters. This one caught my eye.

By far the most fascinating of the three museums for me was the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art. It has an impressive collection of Tiffany art which culminates in the stunning Tiffany Chapel. No pictures allowed so here's a shot, from the booklet I bought, showing the cross above the nave. I'm sure someone will tell me if that's a no-no.
I can even more truly repeat here what I wrote after seeing the Frank Lloyd Wright Chapel in Lakeland: I'm not sure how it is for worship. I might be spending too much time marvelling at this place of worship and its creator rather than the Creator. And I guess I'm onto something here for the booklet quotes Tiffany scholar Robert Koch as saying that Tiffany viewed his chapel as "a temple of art, not a place of worship."

Just use Google Pictures "Tiffany Chapel" to see the whole thing. I was in a bit of a rush today or I would have stayed longer, and if I ever get the chance again I'll be back!

I was in a rush because on my last day I finally had an opportunity to visit The Jesus Film Project for a tour. It provided the second highlight of my holidays in one afternoon. There were only three other Canadians and myself on this particular tour so we got a lot of personal attention. The Project is an outreach of Campus Crusade for Christ and if you don't know much about it do click on the link above.

Our guide was so gracious and humourous I just have to introduce you to her, except that I forget her name. Here she is introducing us to the Jesus Film.


The movie is available in over 1,000 languages, not just with subtitles, but professionally dubbed. And I had a chance to try my voice at dubbing! Here I am outside my very own African hut reviewing my lines.

I was to be Peter, at one of his better moments. (I presume that everyone who gets a chance at this gets to be Peter, too.) Anyway, as you'll hear below, Peter now has an English/Nova Scotian accent.


O yes, I do know that the rooster isn't supposed to show up until later in the story but it got a little overanxious!

Last post from Florida until next time. Thanks for visiting with me, and say with me, "If You say so, I'll let down the nets."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home