VIM in Belize No Longer

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Home at Last!

It’s high time I let my reading public (did I almost say "adoring fans"?) know that I arrived safely home last Friday. The four flights between Belize City went without a hitch. It’s been quite cold here since I arrived but I don’t notice it any more than any other winter. No culture shock either as I slip easily into our northern consumer life style. There is, however, some emotional vulnerability as I discovered in church on Sunday morning, getting quite emotional about worshipping among so many friends here while having left so many friends there.

There’s a lot to keep me busy here. Some of you will know that a month or so before I left for home there was a power surge that knocked out some of our electronic stuff, including the emergency back up pump. Naturally this was followed by a power outage which turned off the main sump pump – ergo a flood in our basement. The insurance should look after repairing most of the damage to walls and floor but can’t do much about lost books and my stamp collection.

One nice thing about returning to Canada is that I’m again able to use Skype to make telephone calls over the Internet (VoIP) at a low cost. Belize won’t allow its use for calls originating there but I can call Belize from here.

It’s difficult not knowing how things are going at St. Joseph’s. I don’t want to keep phoning, or even emailing, to find out so I just hope and pray that my departure may be just what was needed to inspire those left behind to new heights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home