VIM in Belize No Longer

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Easter Holidays (1)



The Prestons from St. Stephen, New Brunswick arrived on Easter Monday and headed back home yesterday. This presented a great opportunity for me to have a week’s holiday. I left PG after church on Easter Day with Heather and Rick Leslie as passengers. They actually did the driving all the way to Belmopan and then headed off by bus for a couple of days in San Ignacio before returning to Yellowknife in Canada's Northwest Territories. From there I drove on to Corozal, arriving after dark in the midst of a big outdoor party. After spending a reasonably comfortable night in Echo I bussed to Chetumal, a city just across the Mexican border.

That was an interesting little adventure including being left at the border crossing by my bus, taking a ½ mile ride in a mini-taxi, getting another bus which didn’t charge me, visiting a real shopping mall where there was this restaurant which looked vaguely familiar, taking another taxi to a sports store where I priced baseball equipment, spending all of $8 in the duty free zone, and finally sharing another taxi with eight others, two of whom were on their way to Belize City. They accepted my offer to accompany me as far as the airport and, amazingly, I arrived there only about ½ hour late to pick up sister and brother-in law at 3:30.

Immediately we retraced my previous day’s trip as far as Belmopan but kept going west to San Ignacio where we spent the night. The next morning we did our first touristy thing, visiting the Barton Creek Cave. This wet cave is an ancient Maya sacred site that can be explored by canoe for about a mile. Around 1:30 we set out for PG via Belmopan again, moving along pretty quickly with only a couple of stops, one being at a swimming hole called Blue Hole. We arrived at Cuxlin Ha, our resort, just in time for supper.

(To be continued.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home