VIM in Belize No Longer

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Holy Week and Easter then...

On Wednesday last I took the 7-hour bus trip to Belize without having been able to arrange to stay at the Diocesan Guest House. I hung around in the dark hoping that the Bishop might arrive home with a key. No such luck, but even better – he put me up for the night in his “palace”! I had come for the special Maundy Thursday Service at the Cathedral. There was the washing of feet, the Commemoration of the Institution of the Lord’s Supper, the Renewal of Baptismal and Ordination Vows, the Blessing of Three Oils (healing, catechumen and chrism), and finally an Agape Lunch. Quite a lot for a non-liturgist like myself! I left with an autographed colour picture of the Bishop and copies of the Easter Edition of the Diocesan Newspaper with the lead article by yours truly.

I was ready to go home at noon but it made sense to wait for the 3:30 express bus. However, when I arrived at 3 the bus was already full, so it was back on the slow one instead. But I did have a seat all the way and some entertaining fellow travelers, so it really worked out fine.

There were eleven out for our Good Friday service including four there because of the baptism tomorrow. For Easter I’m expecting a couple of visitors from Canada, a keyboard player and the baptism of two young people, all of which will help us celebrate in style. I always think that the Easter Service should be a little more exciting than it ever seems to be. I guess it’s hard to come anywhere near the joy and excitement and mystery of that first Easter, but may it be a blessing to you and may you find your faith renewed.

THE LORD IS RISEN INDEED!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home